College of LAS « Illinois

Establishment of LAS Units and Programs

  • 1868 - Department of General Science and Literature includes the following divisions, which were soon after called departments: Chemistry, English Language and Literature, French Language and Literature, German, Greek Language and Literature, Latin Language and Literature, Natural History
  • 1869 - Department of Pure Mathematics
  • 1870 - Department of Philosophy and Logic
  • 1870 - Department of Natural History becomes College of Natural History
  • 1871 - School of Ancient Languages and Literature (founded from the consolidation of Departments of Latin Language and Literature and Greek Language and Literature)
  • 1872 - Department of General Science and Literature splits to form the College of Natural Science and the College of Literature and Arts (College of Natural Science is composed of the School of Chemistry and the School of Natural History, which includes the Departments of Botany, Geology, and Zoology)
  • 1878 - Department of Mathematics (formerly Pure Mathematics)
  • 1890 - Department of Physics
  • 1891 - College of Natural History becomes a school within the College of Natural Sciences
  • 1892 - Department of Philosophy
  • 1893 - School of Ancient Languages abolished and replaced with Department of Greek and the Department of Latin
  • 1894 - Department of History
  • 1894 - Department of Applied Chemistry
  • 1900 - Department of Entomology created within the College of Natural Science
  • 1904 - Department of Political Science
  • 1904 - Department of Applied Chemistry merges with the Department of Chemistry
  • 1904 - Department of Psychology
  • 1905 - Department of the Classics (Departments of Greek and Latin merge)
  • 1907 - Department of Sociology
  • 1911 - Museum of Classical Archaeology and Art and the Museum of European Culture
  • 1913 - College of Literature and Arts merges with College of Natural Science
  • 1913 - Department of Romance Languages and Literature
  • 1917 - Oriental Museum
  • 1921 - Department of Astronomy
  • 1921 - Department of Bacteriology
  • 1927 - Journalism separates from the Department of English
  • 1927 - Classical and Oriental Museums merge
  • 1931 - College of Fine and Applied Arts separates from LAS
  • 1931 - Department of Physiology
  • 1934 - Division of Biological Sciences (includes the Departments of Bacteriology, Botany, Entomology, Physiology, and Zoology)
  • 1934 - Department of Geology and Geography
  • 1939 - Department of French (drops "Language and Literature" from its title)
  • 1939 - Department of Romance Languages and Literature abolished
  • 1939 - Department of Spanish and Italian
  • 1940 - Division of General Studies
  • 1943 - Departments of Physiology and Zoology merge
  • 1945 - Department of Geography (splits from Geology)
  • 1947 - Department of Speech (separates from the Department of English)
  • 1947 - Division of English as an International Language
  • 1948 - Department of Sociology and Anthropology (formerly Department of Sociology)
  • 1949 - Latin American studies is the first major to study a world region
  • 1950 - Departments of Physiology and Zoology split
  • 1950 - School of Journalism leaves LAS and becomes part of College of Communications
  • 1953 - Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (formerly Department of Chemistry, now with divisions of Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, and Chemistry)
  • 1954 - Classical and European Culture Museum (Classical and Oriental Museums merge with the Museum of European Culture)
  • 1959 - Center for Latin American Studies
  • 1959 - Department of Anthropology (splits from Department of Sociology)
  • 1959 - Department of Russian
  • 1959 - Department of Plant Biology (formerly Department of Botany)
  • 1959 - School of Life Sciences (includes the Departments of Botany, Entomology, Microbiology, Physiology, and Zoology)
  • 1959 - Department of Microbiology (formerly Department of Bacteriology)
  • 1960 - Center for Russian Language and Area Studies
  • 1960 - Department of Speech and Theatre (formerly Department of Speech)
  • 1960 - LAS Honors Program
  • 1962 - Program in Comparative Literature
  • 1962 - Department of Physiology and Biophysics (formerly Department of Physiology)
  • 1962 - Department of Spanish Italian and Portuguese (formerly Department of Spanish and Italian)
  • 1963 - Department of Slavic Languages and Literature (formerly Department of Russian)
  • 1963 - Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures (formerly Department of German)
  • 1964 - Center for Asian Studies
  • 1965 - Latin American Studies Program
  • 1965 - Department of Linguistics
  • 1968 - LAS offers the campus's first study abroad program, a yearlong course
  • 1968 - Russian and East European Center (formerly Center for Russian Language and Area Studies)
  • 1968 - Division of General Studies abolished and LAS takes over general curriculum
  • 1969 - Center for African Studies
  • 1969 - Laboratory for Atmospheric Research
  • 1969 - Afro-American Studies and Research Program (transferred to LAS in 1974)
  • 1970 - School of Chemical Sciences (includes the newly formed Departments of Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering as well as the Department of Chemistry)
  • 1970 - Department of Biochemistry
  • 1970 - Department of Chemical Engineering
  • 1971 - Museum of Classical and European Culture becomes the World Heritage Museum
  • 1971 - Individual Plans of Study
  • 1973 - Latin American and Caribbean Studies Program (formerly Latin American Studies Program)
  • 1973 - Program in Religious Studies
  • 1973 - Department of Ecology, Ethology, and Evolution (formerly the Department of Zoology)
  • 1973 - Department of Genetics
  • 1973 - Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences (formerly part of Speech Communication and Theatre)
  • 1974 - Unit for Cinema Studies
  • 1976 - Language and Learning Laboratory
  • 1978 - Office of Women's Studies
  • 1978 - Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security
  • 1980 - Office of Women in International Development
  • 1984 - Program in South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
  • 1985 - Department of Statistics
  • 1986 - Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies (formerly Center for Asian Studies)
  • 1986 - Department of Genetics abolished
  • 1988 - Department of Cell and Structural Biology (formerly Department of Anatomical Sciences)
  • 1991 - East Asian Languages and Cultures
  • 1991 - Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences transfers to the College of Applied Life Sciences
  • 1992 - Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences moves to the College of Applied Life Studies
  • 1992 - Center for Biophysics and Computational Biology
  • 1993 - Afro-American Studies Program (formerly Afro-American Academic Program)
  • 1994 - Department of Atmospheric Sciences
  • 1997 - Latina/Latino Studies Program
  • 1997 - Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology (formerly Physiology and Biophysics)
  • 1998 - Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory
  • 1998 - Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities
  • 1998 - Program for Jewish Culture and Society
  • 1999 - School of Life Sciences reorganized into School of Integrative Biology and School of Molecular and Cellular Biology. School of Integrative Biology consists of the Departments of Animal Biology, Entomology, and Plant Biology as well as the Programs in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Physiological and Molecular Plant Biology, Neuroscience, and Systematics and Biodiversity. School of Molecular & Cellular Biology encompasses the Departments of Biochemistry, Cell & Structural Biology, Microbiology, and Molecular & Integrative Physiology, as well as the Programs in Biophysics & Computational Biology and Neuroscience.
  • 1999 - Center for Writing Studies
  • 1999 - Department of Animal Biology (formerly Department of Ecology, Ethology, and Evolution)
  • 1999 - International studies major
  • 1999 - Learning Communities
  • 1999 - Four- to six-week courses abroad offered
  • 2001 - Intensive English Institute
  • 2001 - Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (formerly Department of Chemical Engineering)
  • 2002 - Program in Medieval Studies
  • 2003 - Gender and Women's Studies Program (formerly Women's Studies)
  • 2003 - Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (formerly Russian and East European Center)
  • 2004 - Civic Leadership Progam
  • 2004 - Global Studies Progam
  • 2007 - School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics. Consists of the Departments of Classics, East Asian Languages and Cultures, French, Germanic Languages and Literatures, Linguistics, Slavic Languages and Literatures, and Spanish, Italian and Portuguese; the programs in Comparative and World Literature and for the Study of Religion; the Division of English as an International Language; and the Unit for Cinema Studies
  • 2007 - School of Earth, Society, and the Environment. Consists of the Departments of Atmospheric Sciences, Geography, and Geology
  • 2007 - General Curriculum moves from LAS to the Office of the Provost and renamed Division of General Studies
  • 2008 - The European Union Center and Center for Global Studies join LAS as U.S. Department of Education National Resource Centers. The other NRCs are the Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies; Center for Latin and Caribbean Studies; and European Union Center.
  • 2009 - Center for Translation Studies
  • 2009 - Unit for Cinema Studies moves to College of Media
  • 2009 - International Studies major and minor renamed as Global Studies
  • 2010 - Department of Gender and Women’s Studies (formerly program)
  • 2014 - The Italian program transfers from the Department of Spanish and Portuguese (formerly Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese) to the Department of French and Italian (formerly Department of French)