College of LAS « Illinois

College and Campus Trivia

1900 chemistry class

In 1878, this department became the first to have its own building.

Which department was it?

Answer: The Department of Chemistry

The building still stands today as Harker Hall, named after Judge Oliver A. Harker, the first University counsel and the third dean of the law school. Having housed the Department of Chemistry, a mechanical engineering laboratory, the Department of Entomology, the Department of Botany, and now the University of Illinois Foundation, Harker Hall is both the oldest continuously occupied building and the oldest classroom building on campus.

« Other U of IQ college and campus trivia.