Bringing the World to the Prairie, and Illinois to the World
Higher education in LAS has a calling that reaches beyond classrooms. Students, faculty, and staff in LAS international programs inform the community about the world by hosting summer institutes, offering professional development for K-12 educators, and launching off-campus initiatives.
K-12 & Community College Educators
Teachers are valuable students because of the young minds they reach. LAS units offer opportunities for K-12 and community college educators to expand their expertise and relay new knowledge to their students.
- African Studies Assistance and Development
- European Union Essay Contest, Summer Curriculum Workshops, Summer Study Tours, and Summer Institute for Teachers.
- International Agricultural Workshops and Resources for K-12 and Community College Educators
- Latin American Teachers Workshop and Resources
- Russian, Eastern European and Eurasian Studies Curriculum Development, Summer Intstitutes, Overseas seminars, and Other Resources
- South Asian and Middle Eastern Curriculum Units and Professional Development Workshops
Business and Government
In the working world relevant and well-informed answers are sometimes difficult to come by. Several LAS units offer programs targeted specifically at businesses and governmental agencies. Many are short-term initiatives, but others are ongoing activities.
Children's Story Time
The Area Study Centers encourage public readings of children's stories in a variety of languages through story times they organize at local public libraries. Among the languages in which the popular readings have been held include Spanish and Arabic.
Community Language Programs
Every summer and winter break, the college offers an Intensive Language Institute. These short courses in nearly a dozen languages are open to students, faculty, and the general public.
Younger students may participate in the University Language Academy for Children, which includes an after-school second language program as well as summer camps.
Many units and centers in the College of LAS offer books, DVDs, and other resources on loan to the general public.