Video: About LAS at Illinois
Immersion in cutting-edge innovation
In LAS, you are invited to become part of the academic discourse and creative process through research in labs, fieldwork, dynamic capstone courses, and distinction projects. You will work alongside your peers and interact with esteemed faculty to tackle some of today’s most pressing societal issues. Explore our list of majors and minors to learn more about each academic program.
Global minds, diverse perspectives
LAS has been a leading force in international connections for more than 60 years. We inspire students to expand their knowledge of other cultures and worldviews. You can take an academic program in another country, participate in service learning in a range of cultural contexts on campus or abroad, or select a program of study that builds your intercultural knowledge and skills.
Meaningful learning environments
Learning environments where you gain expertise and leadership is a priority in LAS. While you’ll hear lectures from inspiring professors, you’ll also have the chance to apply your knowledge in small group-oriented sections. LAS Honors programs provide opportunities for you to engage with topics more deeply, explore more thoroughly, and make an impact on your community through outreach, service, and co-curricular experiences.
Comprehensive student support
All LAS freshmen spend their first semester in a course designed for their success in college. These small-group classes are led by junior and senior mentors who are eager to share knowledge, resources, and advice. Advisors will help you chart your path and set achievable goals. We also help you develop professional skills and experiences. Many programs on campus can enrich your experience too, such as the Leadership Center and the Office of Volunteer Programs.
Peek inside life in LAS
LAS Insider, our student blog, shares stories and tips from current students.
It covers topics like:
- Tips for time management in college
- What to do when you're unsure about your major
- How internships and study abroad can round out your LAS experience
Learn about the value of an LAS degree
- Mark Cuban: Liberal arts is the future, Business Insider
- That 'useless' liberal arts degree has become tech's hottest ticket, Forbes
- Why America's business majors are in desperate need of a liberal-arts education, The Atlantic
- There is value in liberal arts education, employers say, U.S. News and World Report
- Liberal arts grads win long-term, Inside Higher Ed
- Study liberal arts — and gain power, CNN.com
- Want innovative thinking? Hire from the humanities, Harvard Business Review
Recruitment and admissionsLasemail@example.com
Director of Recruitment and Admissions
Associate Director of Recruitment and Admissions
Assistant Director of Recruitment and Admissions
M. Aaron Smith
Office Support Specialist
Information for prospective students
- Explore majors
- Global experience
- Honors programs
- Prospective student FAQ
- Admitted student FAQ
- LAS Insider student blog
- Summer pre-college programs
- Hands-on learning
- Career possibilities
- Campus life