About LAS Leaders
LAS Leaders is a registered student organization at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign that was founded in the spring of 2001. The organization consists of 30 undergraduate students in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences who strengthen the relationships among the college's students, alumni, and friends.
Leaders do this by serving as the college's student alumni ambassadors. These students are selected for the organization based on their commitment to representing the college through programs and community service. They are the face of today's LAS students to the public.
- Act as student alumni ambassadors at all LAS alumni events and college events such as Homecoming, convocations, investitures, honors, and lectures
- Conduct alumni campus tours and serve as hosts to distinguished alumni visitors
- Explore careers through alumni office visits (past visits include: Chicago Tribune Editorial Board, Chicago Board of Trade, law firm, investment bank, nonprofit agency)
- Promote leadership opportunities in cooperation with the Illinois Leadership Center
- Participate in volunteer opportunities on campus and in the community
- Build social skills through informal social gatherings, outings, etiquette dinners, and an annual retreat
- Contribute and participate in committee activities and programs
- Attend all monthly general meetings and participate in the required number of events during the academic year, including fundraisers
- Maintain a reasonable academic standing and meet University and college grade-point average standards
- Display appropriate conduct, an enthusiastic attitude, and dedication toward the U of I and the College of LAS
Applying for LAS Leaders
Membership is open to all full-time undergraduate students in LAS. Interviews are conducted each fall by a committee comprised of the advisor and current members of the organization. The students selected for membership serve for a 12-month period. All members must formally renew their membership in subsequent years. Check the Leaders' website in the fall to apply for membership.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
LAS Student Handbook
- Majors and minors
- Degree requirements
- Course Guidelines
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Standing
- Attendance & Withdrawals
- Dates and deadlines
- Advising and support
Careers and Extracurricular Development
- Life + Career Design Initiative
- Student organizations
- LAS Lineup enewsletter
- For Parents
- Statement on Inclusivity