Fast facts: LAS statistics
For more than 100 years, the college of Liberal Arts & Sciences has played a pivotal role in education and research on the University of Illinois campus. Across our more than 60 units, faculty and students are pursuing cutting-edge research that's changing the world.
These statistics use the most up-to-date data avilable to show the depth and breadth of LAS.
- 640 tenure system faculty (LAS faculty account for 1/3 of all faculty on the Urbana campus)
- 11.7 percent of LAS faculty are from underrepresented groups
- One in five faculty are honored with named appointments:
- 67 named professors or chairs
- 58 named scholars/fellows
- this totals 125 named faculty appointments
- LAS has nearly 30 percent of the named professors and chairs on campus
- More than 14,490 students (11,935 undergraduate and 2,564 graduate)
- Undergraduates: 19.6 percent underrepresented, 17.4 percent international
- More than 2,183 new freshmen in August 2017
- New transfer students: 592
- Average ACT for freshmen: 28.3
- 86 percent of surveyed 2016-17 bachelor's degree recipients secured a final destination (employment, continued education, or volunteer/service). Learn more on the Illini Success website.
To learn more about the students of LAS, please see our student statistics page.
- More than 168,000 accomplished alumni including eight Nobel Laureates and six Pulitzer Prize winners
- Active LAS Alumni Association Board has served the college for more than 30 years
- Grant expenditures in 2016-17: projected at $69.2 million for LAS faculty research
- Our faculty members have been honored with the National Medal of Science, Guggenheim Fellowships, National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowships, and memberships to the National Academy of Science and American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Units and academic offerings
- 37 academic departments; five schools; nine centers and institutes
- More than 70 majors offered
- Nearly 1,500 unique classes taught each semester
- 99.6 percent of all Illinois students take a class in LAS during their time on campus
- 319 scholarships offered at the college level
- 1,172 scholarships offered through LAS departments and units
- 1,260 students helped during the 2015-16 school year
- $2.08 million awarded in LAS and department-level scholarships
- Prestigious scholarships won include Fulbrights, Boren Scholarships and Fellowships for international study, Marshall Scholarships, Critical Language Scholarships, and Barry Goldwater Scholarships
These rankings come from Academic Analytics, a database used to compare disciplines at different institutions. Sixty-nine percent of LAS departments ranked by Academic Analytics are in the top 20 percent of their disciplines.
Departments ranked in the top 10 percent
- Animal Biology
- Asian American Studies
- Chemical and Bimolecular Engineering
- Geography and GIS
- Germanic Languages and Literatures
Departments ranked in the top 20 percent
- Atmospheric Science
- East Asian Languages and Cultures
- Latina/o Studies
- Slavic Languages and Literature
- Spanish and Portuguese