Programs of Study
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers 70 majors, which include interdisciplinary studies and individual programs of study that the student designs in consultation with his or her advisor. All programs allow for flexibility so that students may create programs that are uniquely their own.
- Complete list of LAS majors
- Pursuing a double major
- Declaring preprofessional interests
- Declaring or changing your curriculum or major
Minors are a valuable way for students to customize their educations. LAS minors are open to students in any curriculum or college at the university.
The liberal arts and sciences educational mission
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences provides the intellectual core of the university—the only college with the mission of providing a full range of general education and service courses in the basic disciplines to all U of I students.
In fulfilling this unique educational responsibility, the college develops broadly educated individuals who are committed to open inquiry, critical thinking, effective communication, and responsiveness to the needs of individuals and society.
Our expectations of you
As liberal arts and sciences students, we expect you to embrace this educational goals, and thus to understand the content of and to develop skills in areas that reflect the college's broader, overall purpose. These areas include:
- fluency and facility in English;
- literacy in at least one additional language;
- broad exposure to a number of different disciplines; and
- intensive study in one discipline or an interdisciplinary program.
Your responsibility to yourself
You have a wide choice of courses through which you can satisfy these goals. Ultimately, it's up to you to gain the most from your education by planning a diverse and intensive program of study that will:
- prepare you for a strong occupational, professional, and intellectual future, and that will
- develop that clarity and range of mind that is the goal of educated people.
LAS Student Handbook
- Majors and minors
- Degree requirements
- Course Guidelines
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Standing
- Attendance & Withdrawals
- Dates and deadlines
- Advising and support